Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A Few Storms That Bring Back Memories

What's your vehicle of choice during a storm chase? I'm guessing most by car, other by plane, maybe other by boat. For a few years during High School and my first few years in College my vehicle of choice was a bike. I'm not talking motorcycle, I'm talking human powered bicycle. Since I got my Mercury Grand Marquis I converted to a faster and safe method of storm chasing. This past evening I threw safety to the wind and took off with one of my bikes.  Mobile technology has advance enough so that I can track the storm w/ my cellphone and stay relative safe, but that's not why I chase. Watching the storm form over the horizon as it runs through it's many life cycles. A golden sunset casting it's rays over a darkened rain shaft from the base of a storm. Energetic bolts of lightning skirting across the base even once and a while striking the ground below. It's in those moments where I'm glad I chose this path in life. Keeping the desire to understand storms, understand their interaction w/ the roadways, cars, and such. That holds true even in the so call less glamorous winter time blizzards, white-outs, and deep freezes. I'm glad I'm a meteorologist I wouldn't trade it for the world.


















-Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment